Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dark Chocolate Fudge Pie




Crust:
choose your favorite gluten free crust. I used the following, but it didn't turn out that great:

1 1/2 cups hazelnut meal*
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp coconut palm sugar

Filling:
3 ripe avocados
12 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup coconut palm sugar
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk*

Crust:
Mix hazelnut meal with oil and press into pie plate. Bake at 375 for 8 min.

Filling:

Blend avocados, lemon juice, vanilla, and milk in food processor or powerful blender. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or on very low heat and slowly stir coconut sugar into chocolate. Add agave to chocolate and stir. Once everything is incorporated, put chocolate in food processor/blender and blend until smooth. Place mixture in pie plate and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

This is a very rich dessert, so I would recommend serving it with fresh strawberries or raspberries.

Serves 8-12


*Easily substitutable with similar ingredients

Notes:

I plan on tweaking this to try and make it more like milk chocolate, because I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate.

I never was able to get the coconut sugar to dissolve, my chocolate ended up being a lump of chocolate in the double boiler, but when I blended it with the avocado, everything became smooth.

This was super thick, so near the end of mixing, I ended up taking everything out of the blender and mixing it by hand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooh! I will so have to try this!! I'm glad you have some vegan options here!